International Day of Jazz 2023
Interconnection: A “Jazz Relay” in Celebration of Life Below Water
To celebrate the 2023 International Day of Jazz, the UCCN Cities of Music are working collectively to coordinate a “jazz relay” around the world! On January 28, 2023, Frutillar, Chile (as part of the “Rhythm Between the River and the Lake” Semanas Musicales Music Festival at the Teatro del Lago), will record the backbone song structure that will travel from city-to-city around the world. Performances will be recorded by audio and video, then mixed to produce a seamless jazz relay that connects the UNESCO Cities of Music.
In each participating UNESCO Creative City, musicians will improvise and build on the initial recording created in Frutillar. The UNESCO jazz relay will conclude with a special performance featuring musicians from Katowice, Poland, and Tallinn, Estonia, in collaboration for a special project during International Day of Jazz.
Inspiration for the project draws from Sustainable Development Goal 14: Life Below Water (SDG14). In much the same way as the rivers, lakes and oceans of the world are all interconnected through the water cycle, so too are we connected through music. The music of the UNESCO Creative Cities Network on International Day of Jazz will highlight the importance of local and global efforts for water conservation, healthy oceans and sustainable development.
- If interested, please send email confirmation of participation to Alice Moser (Hannover, Germany) by January 25th: email@example.com
- A video recording of the performance in Frutillar (featuring artists from the Kansas City, USA, and Frutillar exchange) will be shared with participating cities
- Each city to record own improvisation (video and audio) not longer than 2 minutes (a listing of technical requirements will be shared)
- For compilation of the final video, please send audio and video files of performances to Cory Crossman (London, Canada). A google link as well as spec sheet will be send to those that will take part in the project. Deadline for the submission of the videos is March 15th
- A joint media-release explaining the project will be shared mid-April alongside the completed Jazz Relay video to build awareness ahead of International Day of Jazz 2023 on April 30th. The media-release provides an opportunity to highlight each city within the music cluster’s International Day of Jazz project
- With the anticipated support of the UCCN Secretariat, the aim is to have the jazz relay video screened during International Day of Jazz 2023 celebrations in host city, Abu Dhabi, UAE, on April 30th
UNESCO Creative Cities Network (UCCN) member cities welcome inquiries from interested cities and jazz musicians around the world.
For questions on all musical issues: Jake Wagner – Kansas City, USA: firstname.lastname@example.org
For technical questions regarding video and audio: Cory Crossman – London, Canada: email@example.com
For organizational questions and press text: Alice Moser – Hannover, Germany: firstname.lastname@example.org
December 2022: Project proposal outlined and finalized by interested UCOM cities
January 2023: Participating cities must submit an ‘Expression of Interest’ by January 25th
February 2023: Initial performance from Frutillar shared in early February and participating cities begin recording additions. Final questions discussed at cluster meeting in Norrköping, Sweden (February 14th – 16th)
March 2023: All audio and video files submitted by March 15th 12:00 PM EST. All International Day of Jazz events and artist line ups submitted by March 30th 12:00 PM EST
April 17th – release day. Joint media-release and video shared. Listing of all International Day of Jazz events available at: www.citiesofmusic.net
April 30th – video officially premiered at International Day of Jazz celebrations in Abu Dhabi and will be available for use by participating cities